José Torres, the Industrial Cibersecurity Center Coordinators in Mexico (CCI Coordinators Team), help us to get in context of the state of the industrial cybersecurity in this country, and to do so, they share with us their impressions.
He describe the level of sensitivity of industrial organizations in this country according to the following percentages:
He also affirm that the trend of recent years has slightly grown.
Mexico counts with local and national public bodies promoting an adequate legal framework, in order to ensure the progressive incorporation of industrial cybersecurity measures in national presence companies (mainly critical infrastructure). The main organizations are:
- Comisión Nacional de Seguridad
- Policía Federal
- Centro Nacional de Respuesta a Incidentes Cibernéticos (CERT-MX)
Analysing the most widely adopted industrial cybersecurity measures by Mexican organizations to protect industrial automation systems, José highlight the application of:
- Industrial cybersecurity consulting / advisory
- Ethical hacking
- Internal security audits
- External security audits
- Backups SIEM (Security information and event management)
The CCI Coordinators in Mexico characterize the industrial cybersecurity situation in this country with the following SWOT analysis:
- Lack of specific industry cybersecurity legislation
- Lack of a solutions and services catalogue of industrial cybersecurity
- Public organizations driven force (industry, national issues and defence).
- Significant industrial cybersecurity innovation projects
- Increase of trained professionals in Industrial Cybersecurity
- National industrial cybersecurity specific CERTs
- Slow legislation
- Shortage of local industrial cybersecurity professionals working for manufacturers
- Increased of cibersecurity demand for Industry 4.0 and the Internet of things.
- Strategic position in the industrial cyber security sector.